Marquee Masterpiece and New Light

It's been a while since my last blog. Lately Schaefer, my husband and I have been working on home makeover that left very little time for sewing. I had the chance to make another shirt & a pair of shorts for Schaefer and a raglan tee for myself. I'll take pictures and post them in next blog when I have the chance. Back to home makeover, I started removing popcorn ceiling, sanding, and painting the ceiling in 6 rooms so far. 5 more rooms to go. Also Schaefer installed a new lighting fixture in our master walk-in-closet that made it look totally new. It really blew us out.  Not literally. Haha...

Can't help stop staring at this new beauty!


The best project that Schaefer and I ever worked on this month is "K" letter marquee. It had been on my must-have DIY list for a long time. I had gathered all the supplies, some are leftover from previous projects and some are brand-new store bought.

Schaefer assembled the pages on the window.

Paper on wood

It even looked good on grass.

Stained wood - still looked good on the grass.


Schaefer and I pick out the font of "K" letter, enlarged to 31 inches long, and printed out in several pages to put together. Next I drew the "K" letter on the wood. Schaefer cut it out with jigsaw. I stained it in one coat of Miniwax wood stain.



At last, we added aluminum flashing and globe light bulbs together. We experienced lots of hiccups on the process of adding aluminum flashing. It was the difficult part of all. Fortunately, we managed to get it around all around edge all in one night.



Yay-yah! Look at our new masterpiece. It's way gorgeous! It's gonna look good in breakfast room once the wall is painted and new side buffet is added that I would rather take picture of. For now, it's on top of the shelf in the breakfast room.

Finally, at last!

It brightened up our night!


After we worked on it, we started to understand why some marquees similar to ours are pricey. Supplies can be affordable but labor is time-consuming. We paid only $29 for this.

Popular Posts