Denim Addiction!

Good day! Today is Friday meaning I can sleep in tomorrow and seeing more of Apollo. Best of all, Schaefer will be off tomorrow which it is a rare opportunity. Hooray! We're not the kind of family that live on the traditional schedule when we can know when to expect to see each other. Some day Schaefer would work late until 10 pm and some day he would finish as early as 6:30 pm. Some weekend he'd work the whole time and leave us miss him so much. We'll never know when he'd work next few weeks that make it difficult for us to plan in advance such as family events.

In return for Schaefer working so hard and supporting us, I made him two pairs of jeans with the Jedediah pants pattern with some alterations. At first, the idea of making jeans was intimidating to me. In the process of making, finishing up, and seeing Schaefer delighted wearing his jeans actually made me feel confident and wanting to make more!

As for this pattern alteration, I used same method as Sallie used on Jedediah pants pattern from Thread Theory. She has pictures of pattern alteration and used other jeans as guidance that helped me a lot. I would never know this pattern can be altered for jeans if it weren't for her. I'm so grateful she shared this. Unlike the selvedge denim fabric that Sallie used, I used the regular denim from Mood Fabrics and cut out based on the pattern instruction's cutting layout. I'm not sure if those fabrics are still in stock but they do have more choices you can check out yourself. The pattern instruction is clear and easy to understand. What I like about this instruction is that it offers variations that I can pick one. I used flat fell for inseams and back yoke. Next time I make more jeans I'd serge both to save time. The only one nightmare of making jeans is fly front zipper. I rely on this helpful tutorial video each time I make fly front zipper. It guarantees the professional result I always expect. That shouldn't be called a nightmare after all. What do ya think?

After the path of making two pairs, I like how they looked especially with the red thread. Red is our favorite color. Schaefer loves and wears them constantly. Do you know what he said to me after he first tried them on? He said, "I have bad news for you. You're gonna have to make me jeans and pants from now on. No more purchase on clothes for me anymore." That's the best compliment I've ever heard besides daily "You are beautiful" compliment from him. Haha... I'll definitely make more jeans with this pattern, probably at least 3 pairs this year.  A pair of jeans cost less than $30 to make compared to $200 designer jeans. What a great deal! I'd recommend this pattern not only for jeans, pants and shorts too.

Check out Schaefer's brand new jeans below!


Popular Posts