Red and Gray Plaid Jacket

Hi'yall!

What do you like to do in your spare time? In my spare time, I love to shop online and drool over clothes. I dream of everything I desire ending up in my closet so I could wear different outfit without wearing twice.  I may be sound like Rebecca in Confession of a Shopaholic except spending $. Well, honestly, I barely spend on clothes because I love to sew my own clothes! I found this Free People 'Street Talk' Plaid Shirt. It'd make a great statement piece for chilly fall weather. Also it's versatile that can be worn over jeans and leggings. However it's out of my price range and its' acrylic fiber isn't something I'd like to wear in. So that got me inspired to make one from my imagination.
Free People 'Street Talk' Plaid Shirt


I looked through my Burdastyle magazines and found this Wanderlust Long Shirt in the 3/2013 issue that is close enough to the Free People shirt. Hancock's of Paducah and Fabric.com have nice selections of flannel plaid cotton fabrics so I pick this Robert Kaufmann Flannel Red. It's actually soft to my hands.

Burdastyle Wanderlust Shirt 3/2013

Medium-weight flannel cotton fabric worked well for this pattern as this pattern recommended lightweight shirting fabric. I used my usual 38 size without going up a size or so. I made some alterations to the following pattern which are removing couple inches to knee length; curving hem on both front and back; and omitted front pocket and buttons. Although I added hidden buttonholes in the placket, I didn't have any matching buttons and decided to leave the jacket open. I thought it looked better being open. Additionally, it has another feature - sewn-on side pockets for keeping my hands warm... I couldn't be more than pleased with the outcome of my brand-new jacket!  I could layer tees and lightweight sweater underneath the jacket for the chilly weather.  Best of all, it makes the great statement piece as the version of Free People shirt from my own creation.








Have a happy autumny day!


Popular Posts