Bronze Sequin Kimono

Hi' yall!
Self-pictured with my Apple watch



In my previous blog, I wore another handmade piece made by my hands - the bronze sequin kimono. That's another thing I want to share with you here. I've always wanted to wear fancy but "fancy" is not suitable to my daily wear for, especially a stay-home mom. A couple months ago I looked through several of my favorite blogs and found this easy-to-sew kimono project. It needs only 1 yard of fabric to cut and sew 5 pieces (2 for sleeves, 2 for front, and 1 for back). This blogger used the beautiful floral sequin fabric (unfortunately it's out of stock) for this project and wore it with t-shirt and pants as casual wear. That's something I can certainly wear along with my casual tee and jeans. I found this bronze stud sequin fabric. It also comes in black. It has the matte finish that is not too shiny which is perfect for my taste. I cut out the edges to make it look "feather" scalloped. It doesn't fray. Another reason to love this fabric. It reminds me of armor outfit in the soft feminine way. 


Back view

I followed the instruction as the blogger posted but made some alterations. I prolonged the back and front pieces a few more inches than the blogger used. As I said about the scalloped edges, that's another one for alteration.  The blogger mentioned serge unfinished edges - I would advise against it. Sequins are made to be sewn but can break needles easily if not used correctly. It's like working with metal against metal.  I used leather needles and they went through sequin fabric like butter. 

Ta-da! I finally get to wear it with my altered Videri tee (men X-L size to take in) and favorite DIY jeans. It feels so nice and comfortable. That's what I would wear as a day-look. For night look, it would be nice with black dress, clutch purse, and some bracelets. 

This project can be done in less than 3 hours including measuring and cutting.  Silk, rayon challis, or crepe can be also used for this project. I've already made another one in silk. Highly recommended!

What I wore in the pictures - DIY kimono, DIY jeans, and Videri Chocolate t-shirt.


Close-up view





Popular Posts