The Transformation of Beast to Beauty

Hello ya'all!



Since Schaefer moved his office to our bedroom, I pondered what I should set up in the breakfast nook. Many kind of furniture had appeared in my mind such as "Should I go with a small table and a bench?" "Would a small table and 4 chairs be just better?" and so many things that really drove me crazy. Is this how an interior designer think?  Before my mind could explode, I went to the attic and found the antique dining table setting that I completely forgot. Schaefer and I happily brought down and set them up in the breakfast nook. Indeed, they look gorgeous there. However, I felt there was one thing that should complete the whole breakfast nook which is a buffet. Not only it gives the complete look, it provides storage for delicate and fine dishes. 

My in-laws were generous enough to give me a buffet either from Craigslist or building one that I found in Ana White website.  They shared list of buffets from Craigslist; I fell in love with this particular buffet for its decorative details. It may not look attractive but I could envision it in the way I'd like - dark walnut stain on top and green or blue painted bottom. Farmhouse and vintage are the popular styles nowadays. I want to combine them on this piece of furniture. 

The "Beast" before transformation

Right after it arrived at my house, I immediately started remodeling it by stripping and sanding the top. After sanding, I covered the top with dark walnut stain in one coat. I didn't do anything to the bottom except painting in Valspar "Prickly Pear" over the old paint color with both brush and mini roller.  I left it outside to dry overnight. The next morning I checked it out and found out the mist caused the painting dripping at the bottom above legs that I felt like it was disastrous. But I learned to manage to paint another coat during day that allowed it to dry completely in addition to adding several coats of stain on top. As I found out it was gonna rain next day, I had Schaefer help me carry it inside. It was so HEAVY! 

Finally, at last, I applied Miniwax polyurethane on top once the stain was dry. The odor was unbearable awful so I opened doors and windows for a few days. Once the smell was gone enough for me to stare at it longer, I thought ,"it looks gorgeous!" I couldn't be more than pleased with the result.   Oh, there's one more thing I forgot to mention - I sprayed the hardwares in old-age bronze and lacquer as finish. 

The process of transformation


What a beauty!

It looks gorgeous in any angles.

Close-up view of top

Thanks so much to Doug and Betsy Kath for their support! You made my breakfast nook dream come true! 

Halloween is my favorite holiday so I set up my Rosanna (no longer carries this line) dishes and candlesticks to look gothic but elegant. The roses in the pedestal are made of duct tape by Schaefer and me a couple of years ago. The crystal balls on candlesticks are also made by me last year. I love how the floating images look inside them like some kind of magic. 

Halloween Decor - Rosanna dishes and handmade duct tape roses
Crystal balls with floating illustration on antique and Rosanna candlesticks









Popular Posts